Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My next blog -- a gift from God



I was having trouble picking a topic I wanted to blog on next. The frustration was reaching a crescendo when God directed my attention to an article. Steve Johnson, a wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills, dropped a game winning pass, in sudden death overtime, in the end zone, against the hated Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers went on to win the game. Crestfallen, Johnson later went on Twitter with this comment:

 "I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO..."

I guess God must be from Pittsburgh.

You've all seen it. The batter goes up to the plate and just before taking position, he crosses himself or says a little silent prayer. The running back scores a touchdown and touches his lips and blows a kiss to God. The basketball player makes a religious sign just before shooting the free throw. I'm going to give the majority of these athletes the benefit of the doubt. I'm thinking many of them are just giving thanks for their health and abilities that allow them to be in this position. But you know a good number of them actually think like Johnson. That is, that God somehow takes time from his busy day of being the Lord to make decisions about the plays and outcomes of ball games.

I don't think so.

But just in case, I waited until there were no ballgames on before I asked him to help me pick out a topic!

1 comment:

Bernice said...

I couldn't agree with you more.